Preparing for RTI
Your guide to ensuring your employee data is ready for the introduction of RTI
HMRC claims that ‘over 80 per cent of data quality problems are caused by holding the incorrect information about an individual's name, date of birth or National Insurance number’.
Therefore before implementing the new RTI system, businesses must complete an Employer Alignment Submission (EAS) with HMRC to check that employee data held agrees. The EAS can only take place from week/month 1 of the 2013/14 tax year, i.e. when you are going live with RTI.
Employee Data Checklist
Below we have summarised which parts need to be checked (M = Mandatory):
- Full Official Name (M) – employee’s forename and surname must be entered in full. Check for correct spellings and make sure they are entered in the correct places. Only letters, hyphens and apostrophes are allowed (no leading spaces, full stops or other characters).
- Date of birth (M) – all employee’s date of birth must be validated against their birth certificate or passport with an entry format of DD/MM/YYYY
- National Insurance Number (M) – must be entered correctly. The number must begin with two letters, followed by six numbers and end with letter A, B, C or D. If at the time of submission the correct NINO is not known, it should be left blank.
- Gender (M) – confirm gender ‘male or female’
- Current residential address – confirm the current full address. It is recommended that this is validated against a utility bill, driving licence or any other valid document
- Establish right to work in UK – HMRC states that, if a copy of an employee’s passport is made as part of the process to establish entitlement to work in UK, then they would like to be informed of the passport number too
- New employees – the above information must also be checked when a new employee starts
- Leavers – ensure that you have used the ‘Set Leaver (P45)’ routine for all employees that have left during 2012/13 before you clear the Payroll down for 2012/13
Viewing your employee data in Checkbook
To view your employee data in Checkbook:
Go to File Maintenance > Wages / Salaries
Go to Reports > Wages / Salaries > Name Address Tabulation